David has been privileged to represent hospitals, other healthcare entities, and medical providers in defense of professional liability and related matters for the past 30 years. Representative Clients include: WellStar Hospitals and providers, HCA Hospitals and providers, Tenet Hospitals, Centurion, LLC, an industry-leading correctional healthcare company owned by Fortune 50 company Centene Corporation, and providers employed or insured by fine companies in the Georgia market.
The majority of David’s career has been spent at medical malpractice defense boutique litigation firms in the Atlanta area with Georgia practices and nationwide focus. This platform, a reunion of excellent lawyers including the next generation, allows him to continue long-standing relationships with his healthcare clients and to provide a full range of services, including not just outstanding litigation expertise but also:
- Real-time support of medical and risk management staff when legal issues arise during the provision of care;
- Parallel representation of clients in front of various medical and other regulatory boards;
- Management and Resolution of pre-suit matters when appropriate, resulting in the most advantageous use of client resources and funds; and
- Detailed early analysis of claims and litigation budgets to fully advise clients as to the risks and benefits of outlined litigation strategies.
David has been licensed to practice law in Georgia since 1989 after graduating from Georgia State University College of Law. He proudly supports his alma mater as a member of the Advisory Committee for the Center of Law, Health and Society, the President’s Circle of Donors and the Georgia Graduate Health Law Network. David is always excited to lend his ear and network to help law students and recent graduates find careers in the Atlanta healthcare defense field.
As a partner at Bendin, Sumrall & Ladner, David enjoys the collaboration not only with other accomplished members and trusted colleagues of the Firm, but also neighboring medical malpractice firms who often respect and trust him with the personal reputation of their clients when the need arises.
David is blessed to reside walking distance from the Firm with his wife and son. In his free time, and in no conscious order, he enjoys golf (when hitting it well), teaching his son the finer points of sarcasm, marveling at his wife’s love and ability to dance and Atlanta’s stellar restaurants.
Professional Negligence/ Medical Malpractice
David has 30 years of experience defending hospital, medical providers and mental health professionals in medical malpractice lawsuits often involving catastrophic damages. David has successfully defended clients in state and federal court in high exposure cases involving serious injury, wrongful death, addiction, suicide, assault, sexual assault and Constitutional claims for surgeons, anesthesiologists, hospitalists, psychiatrists and allied mental health and correctional healthcare providers. David also provides advice and counseling on risk management and compliance issues.
- Juris Doctor, 1989, Georgia State University College of Law
- Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies, 1984, Georgia State University
- Georgia, 1989
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- District Courts for the Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts of Georgia
- State Bar of Georgia
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Georgia Defense Lawyers Association
- Georgia Graduate Health Law Network
- Georgia State College of Law, Center for Law, Health & Society, Advisory Committee