Michael T. Sumner is a partner at Bendin, Sumrall & Ladner, LLC and has specialized in the representation of clients in medical malpractice, licensing and credentialing, health care regulatory compliance, and general liability claims and matters throughout his over 15 year legal career. He represents healthcare systems, medical practices, medical facilities and pharmacies, and individual healthcare providers, including physicians, physician’s assistants, nurses, nurse practitioners, dentists, pharmacists, psychologists, and therapists, among others, in a wide variety of claims and matters. Michael has always felt it is his privilege to represent these clients in these most important matters and understands the healthcare sector is responsible for preserving the health of our families, communities, and societies at large.
A native of Atlanta, Georgia, Michael received his bachelor’s degree from Wake Forest University and earned his Juris Doctorate from Emory University School of Law. He also holds a Master of Public Health from Emory University. Michael further studied comparative health policy and law at the World Health Organization. While in school, he completed internships at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and American Cancer Society, among others, and volunteered as a patient coordinator at a large acute care hospital.
Michael has been recognized by independent attorney rating services for excellence in the practice of law, including Thomson Reuters’ Super Lawyers, Avvo, and Georgia Trend Magazine’s Legal Elite. Michael resides in Decatur, Georgia with his family, and when not practicing law, enjoys spending time with family, hiking, playing basketball, and watching college football.
- Medical Malpractice Defense
- Health Care Licensing
- Staff Credentials and Privileging
- Provider Employment Agreements
- Medicare/Medicaid Audits
- Risk Management
- Insurance Coverage and Litigation
- Medical Entity Formation and Dissolution
- Emory University School of Law, Juris Doctor, 2005
- Emory University, Master in Public Health, 2005
- Wake Forest University, Bachelor of Art., magna cum laude, 1999
- Comparative Health Policy and Law Program at the World Health Organization via Syracuse University, 1999
- Georgia, 2005
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- Legal Considerations in Plastic Surgery, Co-Author, Patient Safety in Plastic Surgery, Quality Medical Publishing, Inc., 2009
- State Bar of Georgia
- Lamar Inn of Court
- Georgia Society for Healthcare Risk Management
- American Bar Association