Robert is a partner at Bendin Sumrall & Ladner with an AV peer rating from Martindale Hubbell. He has a litigation practice which focuses on medical malpractice, general liability, and commercial disputes. Robert also handles regulatory compliance matters on behalf of pharmacies and hospitals involving professional boards and investigations from state and federal agencies.
Robert graduated Magna Cum Laude from Hendrix College with a degree in philosophy and theology before earning his J.D. from University of Georgia School of Law. He participated extensively in appellate advocacy programs and served as an editor for the Georgia Journal of International and Comparative Law. He authored publications on NATO intervention in the former Yugoslavia and has contributed as a guest author to the Fulton County Daily Report. In addition to his professional activities, Robert volunteers with Songs for Kids Foundation and is an avid photographer, musician, and fly fisherman.
Professional Negligence/Medical Malpractice
Robert has represented hospitals, individual physicians, their practices, and other medical professionals in cases involving allegations of negligent care and treatment, misdiagnosis, lack of consent, and wrongful death and birth trauma. He has also dealt extensively with issues involving agency and vicarious liability and counseled hospitals, pharmacies, and their staff on risk management and ongoing developments in law.
Robert has extensive experience in general liability matters, particularly defending cases involving premises liability, motor vehicle accidents, and complex litigation.
Pharmaceutical Regulatory Compliance
Robert represents health system pharmacies, retail pharmacies, and compounding pharmacies in cases of alleged liability and regulatory compliance. He frequently handles matters on behalf of clients with the FDA and state boards of pharmacy. Robert also assists clients with investigation, compliance, and reporting, and serves as a consultant on issues including regulatory compliance and legislative developments.
- Juris Doctor, 2002, University Georgia School of Law
- Bachelors of Arts, 1998, Hendrix College, Magna Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- Georgia, 2002
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Atlanta Claims Association
- Dunwoody Chamber of Commerce
- Georgia Defense Lawyers Association
- Georgia Society for Health-System Pharmacists
- International Academy of Compounding Pharmacists
- State Bar of Georgia
- American Bar Association
- Georgia Society for Healthcare Risk Management
Publications / Presentations
- FDA Inspections – IACP Compounders on Capitol Hill, June 2017
- Compliance in Practice – CICPA, May 2017
- Medical-Legal Update for Anesthesiologists, March 2017
- Medical-Legal Update for Radiologists, February 2017
- Pharmacy Law Update, December 2016
- Medical Malpractice and Best Practices for Nurses and Hospital-Employed Physicians, September 2016
- Consent, Disclosure, and Risk Management for Pediatric Anesthesiologists, June 2016
- Regulatory Compliance and Risk Management for Physician Practices, CICPA, May 2016
- Hospital Documentation for Staff In-Service, April 2016
- Legal Update for OB/GYN Residents, April 2016
- Pitfalls of Policies and Procedures, GSHRM, February 2016
- Fallout from NECC Continues, GSHRM Gazette, April 2015
- Compounding Interest: Pharmacy Law and Regulation in the Hospital Setting, GSHRM, January 2015
- Prevention of the IV Infiltrate, 2011, 2014
- Drafting Discovery Requests and Responses, National Business Institute, 2013
- Medical Error Disclosure and Protection Afforded Under Apology Statutes, ASTRO Annual Meeting, 2013
- Consents and Disclosure for Neurosurgery Residents, 2012
- Author: The Laws of War, An Examination of the Legality of NATO’s Intervention in the Former Yugoslavia and the Role of the European Courts of Human Rights in Redressing Claims for Civilian Casualties in War, 30 Ga. J. Int’l & Comp. L. 617